Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Spiel Preview Thoughts

As everyone lucky enough to make the trip heads to Essen for the 2015 Spiel game fair, I quicly scanned through the incredibly extensive geeklist created by W. Eric Martin over at BoardGameGeek & despite the surface look, I still saw a ton of interesting things that I'll be waiting anxiously to see if they show up ion the various vlogs & podcasts I follow. Here's what I'd be looking to buy and looking to check out if I were actually lucky enough to be flying to Germany this month:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174654/spiel-2015-preview

Would Want to Purchase
Abyss: Kraken: I don't play the game that often but I'd be happy to add more .
Brettspiel Advent Calendar: I LOVE advent calendars & now that I'm in the US, I miss how ubiquitous they were back home. Combined with the fact that a lot of games I really like are included in this calendar, it'd be a must-buy for me.
Cacao: Volcanoes: More for this nice little tile-layer is a no-brainer.
Cardline: Marvel: Timeline crossed with Marvel? Hells yeah.
The Last Spike
: I played this just last week and really enjoyed it. 
Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition: I love the base game & really like the idea of adding objectives and new dice types.

Would Want More Information
504: An absolutely insane idea that I'm sure is not for me, but oh man I want to see it just to satisfy my curiosity regarding how it actually works in practice.
7 Wonders: Duel: I wasn't hugely interested at first, but the more I see videos of this one, the more I want to play it.
Antartica: I love the look of this and the idea of having the sun's movement affect your ships availability to move & the turn order. The theme is different & that's also a plus for me.
AYA: The building of a domino structure and it's eventual collapse used as a game mechanic is intriguing.
Big Book of Madness: The theme & premise are intriguing enough that once combined with the gorgeous art there's enough to peak my interest.
Big Brain Bang: building adorable neural networks? Yes, please.
Blood Rage: There's been so much buzz about this Viking game and I think it'd get played at home, plus I love the look of it all on the table.
Burano: I'm interested in the cube-pyramid mechanic but wondering if it's enough to hold my interest.
Cabals: This tabletop game based on a digital game looks interesting, and the art is stunning.
Celestia: The game looks great, with really nice art, and I've heard good things about Cloud 9 upon which this game is based.
Clacks: A Discworld Game: I'm a huge Discworld fan & have many games based on the IP. This one can be played co-op or PvP and can have various difficulty levels which is also interesting.
Concordi: Salsa: would be a no-brainer except I don't have the base game yet. But I'd definitely be tempted to pick it up.
Cthulhu Realms: Kit & I have played a ton of Star Realms so I'd like to at least try this one.
Flock: The art looks gorgeous and I'm intrigued by the theme. Preview only at the con but hopefully someone will provide an overview.
Food Chain Magnate: I can't justify the price but I want to see more.
For Sale: I don't actually own this classic, but if I were to pick up a copy, I do really like the art of the iEllo edition premiering at Spiel.
The Gallerist: This one looks gorgeous & has another interesting theme. I missed the KS and probably couldn't justify the price given that it won't end up getting much playtime at home, but I'd love to at least sit down & experience it.
Grand Austria Hotel: Neat theme and the use of dice rolls to determine the magnitude of the available actions seems interesting.
Guns & Steel: I really liked this game when I played it at Origins but I'm really disappointed in the design of the new edition so would be reluctant to purchase now.
Haru Ichiban: A two-player game with a neat theme.
Hengist: Another two-player game that seems quick & has an intriguing theme/look to it.
IKI: The game looks gorgeous but I haven't seen much yet that discusses the gameplay rather than the setting.
Karuba: This puzzle-y HABA game seems light but interesting despite that.
King Chocolate: I like the theme itself and the graphic design of the cover makes me want to see more.
Kitty Paw: Super cute cards with a nice 3D-esque look. Sounds like a super fast & quirky filler.
Legacy: The Testament of the Duke de Crecy: Five Families: Another expansion for a base game I really enjoyed. I would want to see more about what it adds before purchasing (and would need to buy the base also).
Medieval Academy & expansion: I've been curious about this one but haven't actually been able to play it yet.
Porta Nigra: I like the way the master builder works and the look of the 3D buildings; add Kramer & Kiesling to that description and I'm sold.
The Prodigals Club: I really like Last Will and the theme of ruining your social standing is incredibly amusing. Don't think I'd bother combining the two games but I'm still interested.
Russian Railroads: German Railroads: this expansion would be a no-brainer for my "buy" list if it wasn't for one thing - I don't actually own the base game since I just play Adam's copy.
Sapiens: The previews I've seen are interesting and I like the puzzle aspect.
Shakespeare: I love the theme and it looks really nice in preview images. Really interested in seeing more.
Siggil: another unusual theme and I really like the mahjong-esque feel of the set-up. The art also looks really nice.
Takara Island: I like the theme, the art is gorgeous (of course) and the tile-digging seems interesting.
Taverna: I like the fantasy theme used in a slightly different way and really like the look of the board. The fact that the board appears to have areas of text facing all sides is also a plus - now all players have some of the board right way up & some upside-down!
Terra Mystica Big Box: I finally got to play this game and I loved it so the big box is something I'd absolutely be interested in checking out.
Ticket to Ride: UK & Pennsylvania maps: I'm curious to see how the stocks/technology additions actually play out on each of these maps - plus it's the UK so I have to consider it for that alone.
Vampire Radar: Thanks to Zee Garcia & his Board Game Blender segments, I'm really interested in this little one-vs-many game.

No comments:

Post a Comment